Thursday, April 29, 2010

YOGA

Yoga I believe, is actually an acronym:

        Y-Yikes  O-Ouch  G-Groan  A-Again???!!!

Yoga, what can I say about Yoga?  Well I can tell you this, the  word itself is very deceiving.  When most people think of Yoga they image stretching, breathing, relaxing.  Which is  part of it,  but what I found out today is that it should also include; SWEATING!  I actually had sweat dripping off my nose.  It was really nothing like I envisioned it, I actually thought it was going to be a breeze, but you work your core.  I have always had a weak core, even when I was thinner I was muscle weak.  When you are doing these stretches you work muscles that you forgot were there.  Plus you hold each stretch for several minutes, my legs were shaking.  Of course most of the men and women that were there had been doing it for a while and were very flexible.  I kind of looked like a 747 trying to land on a pond, huge and awkward.  But I struggled through it and in the end actually enjoyed it, in fact if I can walk tomorrow I just might go again.  Balance plays a key part in yoga too, you not only need physical balance, but inner balance.  And believe me, having both is tricky.  I know that yoga also includes meditation, which in my case was prayer.  How awesome it was to find myself in a place where I was so focused that praying felt very intimate. 
The question that I have is, what is the right balance when it comes to exercise?  I've read that you need cardio at least three days a week, but you also need weights to lose weight.  Plus I do my risqué water aerobics class and now yoga.  I want to do the most to maximize my weight lose, yet I am 48 and overweight so I don't want to over do it. After all in the last few months, I've had problems with my hip, I hurt my back, I pulled a chest muscle, I strained my side muscles and rib cage.  So ya see that balance thing I was talking about it not my strong suit. 
Anyone with any suggestions on how to achieve that balance I would be grateful . 
I also want to take a moment and congratulate my daughter, she did get the GA position  and will be working at the school while also working towards her masters at Lindenwood.   Jessica you are an amazing young woman and such a blessing.  I love you very much and just couldn't be prouder of you. 

Love ya

1 comment:

J. said...

Thanks mom! I am really excited and I am so proud of you for doing yoga and all your other gym activities! You rock! :)