Monday, April 26, 2010

My Nuts

You know the old saying "The nut doesn't fall far from the tree", well it is so true.  My nuts have both taken an interest in photography.  Zach has helped his dad out with various things such as, games, weddings etc..but he really hasn't had the opportunity yet to really figure out who he is or wants to be as photographer.  He will get his chance this summer and next school year when he is a photographer for the yearbook.  Jessica however has taken a basic photography class and has recently taken some pictures of her friends and even of there babies.  She really has an amazing eye for photography.  She showed me some of her pictures today and I was so excited for her,  she really captured a moment.  Isn't that what photography is really about, capturing those moments in time that make us take pause.  Our photography studio is our business and honestly we do love it, but for the most part it helps us pay our bills.  Recently Dave was driving home and he had to stop, because he saw something that for him, reminded him why he started taking pictures.  Even if you're not taking pictures for any other reason then it's our kids, or a family event, when we look back on those pictures years later...it makes us pause.  We realize how fast the kids have grown, or how skinny we were back then, we even remember the people we loved and have lost.  A picture is our history, a memory, a piece of time.  
With all of Jessica's enthusiasm for photography , it  has made me want to pick up my camera,  look through the lens, and find my moment.  I think part of my hesitation has been lack of confidence and fear.  What if I try it and I fail, what if nobody likes the pictures I take?  But then I also  realized that my pictures will be a reflection of who I am, and  if nobody likes them but me, that's ok.  After all you have to like yourself before anybody else is going to like you, and once you achieve that, it just doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. 
So I am making a vow to myself and anybody else that reads this...I will pick up my camera, look through the lens and find myself.  Even if nobody else likes them, they will be my piece of time and I know one day I will look back and pause. 

No comments: