Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Time After Time

Hey, it's been awhile since I last blogged, but a lot has gone on since then.  My daughter graduated college, my mom came for a visit and Jess and I are in Colorado for a heart walk with my mom and sister.  Crazy I know!  I want to share this dream I had with you, which incidentally I've noticed several people taking about this subject, what do you think that means?  In my dream God came to me, at the time I was younger, like 12.  He told me that He was going to give me 10 moments throughout my life that I could mark  and then before I died He would let me relive them. Now this seemed like an easy and exciting task to me, after all surely there would be 10 things in my life worth reliving, right?  So as I lived my life I marked different events in my life, careful not to waste them.  Naturally being young even the simplest events seen important, but I was still fairly picky.  As I got older I picked more sensible events such as my wedding day, the days my kids were born, I even marked the day my husband and I bought our first house.  The day that I used my last day I turned 40 years old, who knew there was life after 40!  But finally on my last days, the Lord appeared and told me it was time to revisit those special days.  At first it was rather fun watching back on the days I deemed the most important days of my first 40 years of life.  I laughed at my ignorance of a 12 year old, I smiled on my wedding day, and I cried as I watch both of my children brought into this world.  After it was over I was thankful for the gift the Lord had given me, yet afterwards  I relived some other memories in my mind that seemed equally  or even more important.  Things that at the time they didn't seem worth reliving, but you know what they say about hindsight.  Things like a day when your two year old  son falls asleep next to you,  and as you lay there, you  realize that  you  could watch him for hours.  Watching as his little  chest rises and falls, with the occasional dream smile, knowing that he is dreaming of some great adventure.  Or the day when your daughter, after watching The Little Mermaid seven times in a row, climbs on your laps and tells you she loves you and in going to marry her daddy and live with us forever.   When your younger  that may not be a day you would pick as  reliving, but when your older you know those are the moments that make life worth living.
That's the funny thing about time, your perspective changes as often as time changes.  I think the older we get the more little things become important to us.  Time is also very crafty,  have you noticed how when your younger time seems to go soooo slow, you can't wait for so much of your life to happen.  You can't wait to drive, you can't wait to turn 18, then 21.  You can't wait to get married and have kids.  Then we can't wait for our kids to crawl, take their first steps, start school.  But then somewhere along the line, time starts speeding up.  Suddenly you can't believe how old your kids are, how old you are.  Then their graduating high school, college, getting married, having their own kids.  All you want is to slow time down so that you can enjoy each and every moment.  Wishing you could really go back and relive all the important moments in your life.  Of course we know that  time stops for no one, and plays tricks on the young and the old. Of course when I woke up I thanked God for reminding me to appreciate the beautiful things in my life and to not take them for granted.  To always remember everyday is a day worth marking important, after all we make our own moments special, and should always be  grateful for God's gift of time.

1 comment:

J. said...

It is funny the way we have all been thinking about time lately isn't it? And time is such a funny thing...it never seems like we have enough of it when things are good and there is too much of it when things are bad. I have been trying to remember to keep my eyes on today, not tomorrow or the next day because that day has its own time and I don't want to miss out on the things of this time. Anyways, I love your reading your blog. You are a beautiful writer. Love you!